Welcome!

Feel free to look around, browse, chat, and laugh :) I hope you enjoy the "snapshots" I show you and maybe pick up a few tricks. (Or teach me some!)

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Ornaments

Today I decided to work on ornaments for our Christmas tree. I bought plain glass ornaments at Michael's for half off after last Christmas. There's a variety of ways to paint them. Last year I tried the paint on the outside, and that was considerably easier, but then I tried to be a bit more ambitious and paint the inside, which turns out very nicely. It makes the paint look a lot cleaner and it has a "shine." These are some that I did today and I'll try to upload some that I did last year. The pictures don't show it off well at all! For the greens I used a variety of colors, starting with a gloss medium which I poured in and mixed with water, then rolled the ornament so it would be covered with this mix. Then I started to slowly drip my main "medium" toned green in and got the inside covered, then I added a dark and a lighter until it would swirl in a marble like way, finishing with a teal color and a lime green. The 2011 was painted on the outside of the orb, (I still need to work on the writing or drawing on the inside [and having it legible]). The white is VERY pretty in person. It's the same orb and started the same way, only i used the white paint to drip down almost like icicles (Or something along that sort!) and then I'm going too look for either some snowflakes that will fit in or else some blue glitter. 




With so much water being used it is hard to make sure that the paint stays all over the orb and that there is no open space (unless desirable as in the white orb). To do this, I stuck in a movie, relaxed and sat twisting and turning the orb, in intervals using a hair dryer to assist the drying process. 


It's a fun project and sure gets one into the holiday spirit! Happy Christmas Eve everyone :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment