Welcome!

Feel free to look around, browse, chat, and laugh :) I hope you enjoy the "snapshots" I show you and maybe pick up a few tricks. (Or teach me some!)

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sewing Project- Gloves



 This project was my first attempt at sewing .... well anything! Now enter my lame diagrams. This diagram is for the making of one finger-less glove. This was my first attempt to learn how to sew and so I used VERY cheap fabric. More precisely, the fabric I cut off of the bottom of my Pon and Zi shirt. The original pieces of material have the dimensions of 9 inches by 4.5 inches. This all varies on the length of the glove one wants and the width of ones wrist. The length was good on my hand but the width could have been less. I'll probably end up adding a ribbon to tie it tighter.

Materials: 2- fabric 9 inches by 4.5 inches
                needle
               thread
               ribbon, 5inches long

STEP ONE!

Cut and then hem along the lines which I marked orange but resulted in a pinkish-red line. On B, one should cut off approximately 2.5 inches. On A, one should cut off a triangle of fabric from each side. The red/pink line on A is roughly 3 inches.

 I will attempt to explain the hem stitch my mom taught me. The well drawn diagram (*wink*) I created hopefully will show you how to line up the fabric. The black is regular fabric and the red/pink shows where the fabric was folded over.  If you can make any sense out of this picture I will be very impressed. The blueish/green is the string.

                  1. Start by threading your needle, and tying a knot on the end of your string to prevent it
                         from coming out of the fabric.
                  2. At the edge of the fabric, starting at the bottom, pull the needle through both levels of
                         fabric.
                  3. Thread the needle through the TOP layer only about
                         0.25 inches.
                  4. Thread the needle through a few stitches of the fabric underneath the top layer and
                        then up through to the top. This should bind the two fabrics together.
                  5. Repeat instruction 3 and 4 until you reach the edge of the fabric, then tie a knot and
                        cut the remaining string.

STEP TWO!

After the sides are hemmed to prevent fraying, you can start to sew the two pieces of fabric together. Fold slightly the edge of B before placing it over A and sewing. This fold once again prevents fraying and makes it look nicer afterwards.

STEP THREE!

Sew the ends of the ribbon to the tip A. I honestly have no suggestions on how to do this. I just experimented. I tied a knot on the end of the string, starting from the bottom of the hem on the INSIDE of the glove ( looks nicer if all the hems are on the inside), and then up through the ribbon. I then tied another knot and cut it, so far it's held up well. Another option would be to simply hot glue the ribbon to the fabric.

I apologize for the coarseness of the instructions. This project was pretty haphazard as my mom was trying to explain sewing to me :) I plan to attempt to add beads to the top of the glove for decorations and either more ribbon or a snap on the "backside" of the glove, the side pictured below to tighten it around my wrist.
This project isn't dressy, yet is cute for around the house or dress-up for a young girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment