Welcome!

Feel free to look around, browse, chat, and laugh :) I hope you enjoy the "snapshots" I show you and maybe pick up a few tricks. (Or teach me some!)

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Rest In Peace Herb Conn

On February 1st, a legend passed away- famed climber, Herb Conn. However, it is not for his achievements which I am writing this. This dedication goes out for what Herb, and his wife, Jan, stand for, despite being temporarily separated in body.

I first met Jan Conn almost six years ago, playing with the French Creek Folk at the local senior center. I was just starting to play flute in band and was interested in taking private lessons. Impressed with Jan's spirit, my parents arranged for lessons. Immediately, Jan struck me as a free spirit and vibrate despite being in her 80s then. As the time came I grew to respect her will and the sense that her values were undeminished. She would do anything for a friend, loved her family dearly, supported creation and knew that materialistic objects were fleeting.

After I had had lessons with Jan for some time, she invited me for a lesson at her house. It was the neatest think I had seen in a long time. It was like stepping back into another world. They're house was small and surrounded by forest. On a small hill they had a craft like building. It was small, covered in maps and posters of the surrounding caves; books, carvings and music were scattered around. In making these connections, I also began to learn more of Herb.

In time, I was also attending Jan and Herb's presentations at Jewel Cave and places around the Black Hills. I had always known of Jan's wit but this was when I began to learn more of Herb's also. I don't even recall any specific conversation with him, but I do always remember him running the project or standing off to the side grinning to himself at some story Jan was relating or a song she was singing.

My most memorable experience of these performances was Jan singing a song about how, in a cave, the small man always prevails, and then in another verse (or song?) where Herb hands her a cup of water and she sings underwater!

Herb was always kind to me. When I would call their home and ask for Jan, it would sound as if he was smiling. He was quiet but when he talked, there was no doubt he had something worth saying.

I stopped taking lessons from Jan about a year ago, our paths were different and eventually out contact diminished to simply seeing each other around town. Her and Herb's lifestyle was so beautiful and they by the bare necessities but they lived for everything else. I envy how simply they could live and I hope that I find as much happiness in my life as they did. I do not know whether or not Herb believed in an afterlife, but I am convinced that he and Jan cannot be parted, even for a brief amount of time.

My condolences to Jan and more so, the pray that Herb passed in peace and is having fun exploring his new-found kingdom.

Check out these websites I have found, You'll be amazed:

http://southdakotamagazine.com/explorers-of-an-unseen-world

http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/1740864/R-I-P-Herb-Conn-of-Needles-and-Jewel-Cave-fame

No comments:

Post a Comment