Welcome!

Feel free to look around, browse, chat, and laugh :) I hope you enjoy the "snapshots" I show you and maybe pick up a few tricks. (Or teach me some!)

Friday, March 2, 2012

Hemp Necklaces

For a long while now, I have enjoyed making hemp necklaces.

Supplies: Hemp (most craft stores in a roll), clasp, charm or beads as one wishes.

1. Cut hemp, I average 16 inches for the necklace, by the time I tie the clasps, 14 inch. There are four strings, two should be the length of the necklace. Two should be five times the length (unless there are extensive beads). Rather than having four strings, I use double and two strings and tie them at the end. Just easier to deal with!

2. Put the two short strings in the middle with one long on each side. Cross right long over the two short.

3. Bring the left long over right long and BEHIND two middle short. Lastly, back over right long. Pull tight. Be sure to pull firm to keep the knots even.

4. Do the reverse, starting with left over middle short. Bring the right over left and behind the middles. Tighten.

5. Repeat.... endlessly! Or until necklace is done. To keep the design straight one must do one right, one, left, repeat. To add a charm, slide onto either long string and continue the knots. At the end, attach the other end of the clasp. I usually put varnish, paint, glue or something on the end knots just to assure they stay.

When completed, the necklace will be itchy during the first few wears. I will usually soak the necklace in warm water for a few hours to help ease the scratches. Questions? Feel free to ask or else Google is filled with plenty of instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment