Welcome!

Feel free to look around, browse, chat, and laugh :) I hope you enjoy the "snapshots" I show you and maybe pick up a few tricks. (Or teach me some!)

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Still feeling unwell... but some movie suggestions!

As I have been working quite hard at resting, I have seen some pretty awesome movies. First off, I always endorse Disney Classics to help me feel better! Today was Robin Hood and Hercules, two days ago was the DreamWorks epic El Dorado. However, I also have to good selections which I would recommend to anyone.

First is, Bachelor in Paradise (1961) starring Bob Hope and Lana Turner (First thing I've seen her in since her spectacular performance in The Three Musketeers with Gene Kelley [HEARTTHROB!]). It's a family comedy about a "man of the world" living in a family community and his attempts to teach the local women "arts" to peak their husband's interests. Unfortunately, the husbands all think their wives are up to no good and having affairs. Another story in this classic is the hardcore bachelor falling in love :P (who would've thunk it? haha)

Next comes a more modern movie, done in 1999, with a classic origin, entitled Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. (no surprise Austen made an appearance again!). I feel the movie was well done and am now looking forward to reading the book! The story centers around a young woman, sent to live with her relatives and her growing feelings, and her admirers. The movie does not compare to Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibility, especially in the sense of the leading lady. On the other hand, I respect Fanny for her intelligence and her sense of morals. A favorite quote of hers:


Fanny: Maria was married on Saturday. In all important preparations of mind she was complete, being prepared for matrimony by a hatred of home, by the misery of disappointed affection, and contempt of the man she was to marry. The bride was elegantly dressed and the two bridesmaids were duly inferior. Her mother stood with salts, expecting to be agitated, and her aunt tried to cry. Marriage is indeed a maneuvering business.


And another:


Henry Crawford: Fanny, you have created sensations which my heart has never known before. 
Fanny Price: Please. 
Henry: There is only one happiness in life: to love and be loved. 
Fanny: Mr. Crawford, do not speak nonsense. 
Henry: Nonsense? 
Fanny: You are such a fine speaker that I'm afraid you may actually end in convincing yourself. 
Henry: Fanny. You are killing me. 
Fanny: No man dies of love but on the stage



Finally, a gem called Lilies of the Field (1963), starring Sidney Poitier. In this light comedy, a man in persuaded into helping nuns from the German/Hungary area build a chapel. 


Next on my "to see" list is Donnie Darko (2001). I saw a commercial for it on Ovation channel. Normally I'm not into horrors, but this seems more psycho thriller, plus the fact that the character sees a large bunny rabbit (mimicking the cute Jimmy Steward movie, Harvey), I'm interested. Anyone see Donnie Darko before? Is it worth it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment